About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Green Eggs and Sam (That's me!)

Hi everybody!

     Things have been pretty ruff today; I'm not used to it being so HOT! Allison says that we're moving into the "dog days" of summer very quickly this year. But woof, my tongue's getting tired from panting so hard. I'm still just a little guy, as my family likes to remind me, so my first summer's going to be interesting.

      Anyways, my humans suggested that I write about my favorite book for my first entry: Green Eggs and Ham. When Allison first read me the title, I was very happy! A book about food? YUM. Nevermind the green part - dogs are colorblind, remember? So a bit of green ham sounds tasty!

Of course, I didn't know yet that you're not supposed to eat books.

      Allison and Rachel were nice about it. After the initial shrieking, they gently pulled the book's pages from my mouth. And told me: "Books are friends, not food, Sam I Am!" I cocked my head to the side, like I do when I'm trying real hard to listen. Then I sneezed, which kind of ruined the effect.

That's when Allison started the T.R.E.A.T.S. system. It means To Read Educates an Already Terrific Sam I Am. Every week we're going to read a few new books together, and then she'll help me write about what I think. (I can't try typing, Allison says, until I learn to stop attempting to eat the keys off her laptop.) So we started with Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. Look below - that's the other Sam I Am, the one I'm named for.

     All stretched out on a blanket in the backyard, I couldn't help getting excited when we started reading. Open the book and there's my name! Over and over! It was almost like the book was about me! I tried chomping on the cover one more time. I almost couldn't help it; I'm teething, so I want to chew everything

 Allison gave me my bone and reminded me that books are for reading!

      When we had finished the book, I decided I really liked it (even if I wasn't allowed to give it a good gnaw). One funny-looking guy refuses over and over to try Sam I Am's green eggs and ham. No matter how many options Sam gives him for dinner companions and setting, the funny guy turns his nose up - even though he's never had green eggs and ham before! Finally Sam I Am wears him down, and he discovers he LOVES green eggs and ham. Silly guy. Never turn down a free lunch.

      What Allison calls the "illustrations" are fun too. All loopy and wavy and full of unexpected surprises. This Dr. Seuss character must be quite the interesting human being to think of such a story!

      What I liked the best though, was how I could relate the story to my life. You see, Allison's family didn't always want a puppy. From when she was just a pup herself until recently, she'd been asking her parents for a dog. And her silly family kept on saying things like, "But we're probably allergic," and "That's a lot of work." They'd never even tried having a dog. A little while ago, Allison's family finally decided to take a chance and try something new. Ta-da! WOOF! Here I am, all the way from a shelter in Tennessee! I am like that guy's green eggs and ham. Never be afraid to try something new!

      I might be a puppy, but I already know that life is full of adventures. Adventures like trying new foods (I found out that bananas are yummy), going new places (like the park, YIP!), and meeting new humans and animals (I'm so glad I met my humans!). I know it can be scary. That's why there's things like books and friends and families. So Green Eggs and Ham gets two paws up and a tail wag to boot. Allison says that this classic book is best for ages 5-7 (in people years, that is). Enjoy! I'm off to try to befriend that crazy cat next door - maybe if I'm persistent like Sam I Am the furball will finally want to be friends. In any case, she's fun to chase. Aroooooo!

                                                                      Yours in new adventures,
                                                                                            Sam I Am
  
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi all. Allison here. Sam's so caught up in bounding after felines that he forgot to mention a few links for those interested in Dr. Seuss and his classic story. Here are a couple of sites to explore (for any parents and little ones):

    *http://www.seussville.com/ - Read about characters, play games/activities, learn about Seuss himself. Things to do for both child and parent.

    *http://www.parentsconnect.com/recipes/green-eggs-and-ham.html - Cook Sam I Am's recipe for the kids!

    *http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/green-eggs-and-ham-recipe/index.html - Green Eggs & Ham for the grown-ups!

    *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDtgnQ0fy4 - Youtube video of a cartoon version of the book

    Enjoy!

    -Sam I Am's human

    ReplyDelete