About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sneezy, Wheezy Sundays with Sam I Am

Hi!

     I tried to eat Allison's umbrella a few minutes ago. It was just hanging there on her doorknob, looking very suspicious to me. So I balanced on my bum and gave it a great big CHOMP.

Allison didn't like that too much.

     She's been doing this thing called "homework," and I think it takes too long! When we decided to take the rest of September off from blogging so Allison could focus on getting used to school, I didn't realize how much time she was going to spend on this "homework." I mean, really. What's the use of writing essays and reading long, hard papers when she could be learning just as much from me? I taught her how to play catch-me-catch-me-you-can't-catch-me. I taught her how to play Real basketball (Allison didn't know that you're supposed to try to grab the ball with your teeth, would you believe that?). I even taught her my special swagger-walk that I use in the dog park to let everyone know I'm the friendliest wauzer in town. And what does she do instead?

Something called "archetypal criticism" and another thing called "management theory." Yuck.

      Is it any wonder I have to attack rain gear to snap her out of it? Or sneak under her bed for a tissue feast? Or break into the bathroom for a solo game of tug-the-towel? WOOF! A dog's got to do what a dog's got to do.

     I'll take squeaky toys over literary theory any day. Ruff!

     I guess part of the reason why Allison isn't so fun lately is that she worked so hard on homework and school stuff that she got sick. She has something called "a cold." When I tilted my head a little and woofed softly to ask if there was such thing as catching "a hot," she laughed but then the laugh turned into a cough. My poor human's snout is drippy all day too. I did a better job being patient yesterday when Allison stayed in bed. If there's one thing I've learned it's how to snuggle!

I even kept Allison's spot cozy for her while she got up for some water.
I'm a good guy like that.
 
      Anyway, this morning Mama Suz gave my sniffly human a spoonful of this nasty-smelling stuff - medicine I think. So Allison felt a little better today. She took a break from homework when I tried to tackle her umbrella. And we read a great story about a teddy bear with cold!

Teddy Bears Cure a Cold by Susanna Gretz, illustrated by Alison Sage, is about a teddy bear named William and all the things his teddy bear friends do to help him get better when he catches a cold. Charles makes a chart to keep track of William's fever because he feels really hot, Andrew makes him special tea, and Louise and Sara help make him comfy in bed. Poor William is very unhappy being sick...but he finds out that he likes all the attention from his friends! Only when he finds out about a special surprise does he admit that he feels better! What an ending! Awoo!

I give this book two paws up and a tail wag. Sniffling William's grumpy faces remind me of the faces Allison makes when she's sick and mad about being sick. I like looking at all the pictures, with details like the temperature chart, puzzle pieces all over William's blanket, and get well cards made by the bears. I especially like the bears' friend the dalamatian dog! The bears' personalities and expressions, the familiar situation, and the gentle humor will make human-pups grin and ask for the book again and again (especially when they're sick or don't want to go to school!). Best for human-pups PreK-3.

Allison says there are other books about the same teddy bears and their dog; I hope we can find them to read more about William, that silly bear!


     Right now, I think I'd better go work on that new bone I started chewing this morning. Allison's starting to sneeze again and I don't want her ACHOOOOOS to blow our blog away! She should rest anyway because she has to try to go to school - wish I could sneak in with her! 

Don't you think I'm smart enough for what Allison calls "higher education"? Awooooooooooooooooo! 

Yours in Get-Well Snuggles,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment