About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

About the Little Ones

Hi!

     Allison is all kerfluffled because she just spent a long time pawing through the neighbor's bushes. You see, when Allison and Suz came back home (they went to a faraway bookstore while I had what my humans call "male bonding time" with Daddy), I tugged Allison in the direction of an interesting smell. And woof, what a find! Right in the little cubby next to one of the basement windows was a baby robin birdie. She was stretching her neck out and opening her mouth wide-wide; I think she was hungry. In any case, she needed our help!

    I was all for picking her up in my mouth, but Allison told me not to. Instead, she and her daddy scooped the bird up in a towel and gently tried to push her in the direction of the silly mama bird (now chirping her head off as well). And you know what? The mama bird kept chirping, while the baby bird just sat there. Allison and Suz didn't like this. Allison began yelling up at the mama bird to "TAKE CARE OF YOUR BABY FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE," and both of them muttered that "the cat" would "get her" if they didn't do something.

    Enter a ladder, a cardboard box, some towels. Add them to a very silly baby bird. What does this equal? Aroooooo! It equals a baby in the bushes, with my human Allison crying out curses as she plunged after it. I think they wanted to get the baby birdie back in the tree, but all they did was show her a good hiding spot. Hopefully the mama will go help her baby from there. I gave Allison's hand a good lick when she finally came back inside (she tasted of mud and pine needles) - we tried, and that's what counts. Looking after those who are smaller and/or weaker than us is important! Gotta take care of the little ones! Ruff!

   Allison and I recently read a story about a little dog (not unlike me!) who - though he is small - becomes a hero by looking after someone even littler! 


Lobo by Gladys Yessayan Cretan, illustrated by Patricia Coombs, tells the story of a little black dog who thinks he's big. He growls at caterpillars, chases birds, and terrorizes the neighbors in his efforts to protect his humans and prove his toughness. Unfortunately, his humans (as humans often do) do not understand and scold him. You're not a big dog, everyone tells him. Tail drooping, Lobo gets sad. Only when Lobo bravely uses all his might to help a mama find a lost human-pup does he realize that he doesn't need to be or act big to make a difference! A bit predictable, but still a good (albeit a bit old-fashioned, according to Allison) story for little human-pups who sometimes feel helpless and small. You don't need to be big to be a hero! Woof! One paw up for this book. Best for human-pups K-2.

     Of course, I know what it's like to be small and still want to make sure my family is safe. Before the rescued birdie and my time with Daddy today, yesterday I spent time with Jacob-baby. Suz and Allison took us both on a thrilling trot around the neighborhood. The thing is, because Jacob's so little himself, I feel that I have an extra-special job in protecting him. He's my buddy, hugs and clumsy belly rubs and all! So of course I followed close on his heels, growl-barking at any suspicious bushes or people. Allison chuckled at my protectiveness, but I know my job. Help those smaller or younger or weaker than you. A pup's got to keep his favorite little human-pup safe after all!

Little hugs with lots of love (especially when he remembers not to squeeze me too hard)!


And the kid even loves fire hydrants as much as I do! Good taste, ruff!

This book below tells the tale of a big bear and a little mouse; they go on a walk too!

     
Ernest and Celestine, written and illustrated by Gabrielle Vincent, follows the bear and his mouse friend as they have a nice winter walk - and then face a big problem! Celestine has lost her stuffed bird Gideon! Now, I know what it is to miss a stuffed friend; Allison put my squeaky giraffe "in the wash" once, and I felt lost until I got him back. Not a good situation. Luckily for Celestine, Ernest "has Celestine's back" as Allison puts it. Taking care of his little friend, he finds a solution to the problem of the missing Gideon. A very sweet, simple-yet-elegant story with beautiful pictures (Allison says the pictures remind her of the Winnie-the-Pooh illustrations...must remember to read Winnie soon), this book and others about the same duo are sure to become favorites among the human-pups you share them with! Two paws up for this story - wonderful as it is for human-pups K-2 and their mamas and daddies.     


Protect those you love and show kindness to others - even if it means riding a scary purple dinosaur!

            I'm still working on Bunnicula; I'm looking forward to the ending! After that? I'll have to check out some of the books Allison and Suz found today. Exciting!

                               Your Little and Little-Ones-Loving Friend,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment