About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Parties and Postal Workers: Some Truths Straight From the Puppy's Mouth

Hi!

     My humans and I have been busy the last couple of days! I went to the doctor's and got my last puppy shots and rabies shot. I was a bit scared about all the shots, but my buddy Jacob-Baby came with me. He kept giving me hugs and saying, "It's okay, Sam."  So I showed him how very brave I can be. Lots of treats for that! I was a little snoozy and woozy afterwards, so I took a day or two off from blogging. But now I'm back with a few good books to recommend! Woof!

After all, a pup can't snooze forever!   

     Anyhow, Allison and I were talking the other day about some of the strange things humans think about dogs like me. She says that humans have something called stereotypes.

     Stereotype? It sounded like some kind of strange animal to me. Maybe some kind of pesky bird? But no. It turns out that stereotypes are ideas that humans hold on to make things simple. And they're not always right. For example, a stereotype about dogs is that they hate mailmen. Just because we bark and chase after them on occasion. Not true! Stereotypes are too general a lot of times, and don't explain everything. Personally, I love our mailman! He's a great human, always stops to give me a tussle and a belly-rub when I gallop towards him and his big blue bag. My friend Chance barks at the mailman to both say hi and warn him that Chance's family has a wonderful watchdog. We're supposed to protect you silly humans, remember?

     In any case, stereotypes can be very silly. All dogs (and humans) are unique. To say that all chihuahuas love Mexican food (as another example) doesn't allow for differences in taste and personality. Everybody's different!

     On that note, here are two of my latest recommended reads:

The Jolly Postman, Or Other People's Letters by Janet and Allan Ahlberg provides proof that a mailman can be a jolly nice human indeed. In this adventurous tale, follow a cheerful and courageous postman as he delivers letters to fairy tale characters and drinks more tea than a pup could imagine! The Big Bad Wolf gets a letter from a lawyer, a Wicked Witch serves up green tea, and a host of other storybook citizens happily accept flyers, invitations, and surprises. Human-pups will love this book!
Allison applauds the simple but "rolicking" rhymes and the illustration's imaginative detail. Me? I loved the letters that readers can pop out and enjoy (the only time, Allison says, that it's okay to read other people's mail).

The Jolly Postman and his adventures get two paws up, and two tail wags (a high rating from a pup who certainly does not hate mailmen)!

Also try The Jolly Christmas Postman and The Jolly Pocket Postman, which has the postman and his faithful dog shrinking after an encounter with magic tea! All three are terrific for human-pups ages 4-8 (but pups' parents will enjoy these books too! Arooooooo!) 

Mailmen aside, have you ever wondered what your dog does/thinks when you're busy or not home? Silly humans are sadly mistaken if they think we dogs just lie around sleeping or plotting new ways to chew holes in your shoes! Many pups, like me, need action, adventure, and a bit of prowling. So sometimes when my humans are sleeping and they forget to close the gate, I sneak into the family room for some fun. Allison caught me in action once...what can I say? I wanted to party with the animals in Jacob's barn!

 A small wolf creeps up on a sleeping barn...


No, Allison! I just want a snuggle. I'm not in the mood for lambchops...not right this second anyway.

 Munching on a cow. Very mooooving friendship.

     So be aware: pups love adventures, and you never know what we will think of next! Stanley, the main character in Stanley's Party and Stanley's Wild Ride by Linda Bailey, illustrated by Bill Slavin, gets into fantastic mischief!

Part of a series of books about the loveable, scruffy Stanley, Stanley's Party tells the tale of a dog exploring unthought-of freedom when his humans go out at night. Jumping on the couch, raiding the fridge, everything against the rules in his house! Finally Stanley hosts a gigantic party for all the dogs in the neighborhood - taking his rebellion a bit too far, but getting his humans' attention. In Stanley's Wild Ride, the same adventurous pup sneaks out of his yard for a crazy night with his friends. Both books feature comical illustrations and a group of dogs who know that exploring is a great part of life! Two paws up. Best for human-pups PreK-3, Allison thinks.

Off now! I've got to go hunt worms in the yard, chew my rawhide (I still have my back puppy teeth), and go say hi to my friend Sadie. Adventures, friends, mailmen, and new things. Woof! This is the life!

            Yours in Postmen and Parties,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment