About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Friday, June 10, 2011

"Bub" is All You Need: Listen and Understand, Young Pup

Hi!

      Allison couldn't write for me yesterday because there was something called a "storm." Gigantic flashes of light and big booming sounds coming from outside. I guess the sounds and lights messed up her computer. As it is, the booms and flashes messed me up; for two nights in a row I've woken up and gotten very lonely and confused all of a sudden. That makes me howl and whine and cry for my humans to please please wake up and give me a snuggle! The storm also made my tummy so nervous that I had an accident. Uh-oh!

     All I wanted was to be let out of my crate and explore what was going on outside - and my humans didn't understand at first. Sick and concerned about needing to protect my family, I tried so hard to tell them. I felt a little sad because of it, but today Allison told me that I was a good boy. Accidents happen, she says, and we're still working to understand each other, my family and I. It can be frustrating when others don't understand you or you don't understand them. Everyone's different, as even a little wauzer-pup like me knows by now. It takes patience and love to get along with people (or dogs) you meet - and practice!

Explore and try to understand others - it's a part of life! WOOF!

     Today Allison decided that we would read a book about a kind of funny misunderstanding. This story features a king, a queen, a little prince, a cook's daughter, and best of all, the prince's faithful dog!



    Natalie Babbitt's story Bub or the Very Best Thing opens with two royal parents having a royal fit about what is best for their little boy, the prince. They go on to ask everyone in the entire castle what is best - and all the while their human-pup is trying to tell them, "BUB!" (Which, Allison tells me, is human-pup "baby talk" for LOVE.) Of course the grown-up humans don't understand their son - nor do they take notice of the dog (who wears a silly hat that I would never wear) who lovingly follows his human and a particular stuffed dragon toy around. Silly humans!  

For what Allison calls the "masterful and realistic" illustrations of those who live in the castle (including the ever-patient royal canine), I give this book a paw and a half up. I especially like the tiny pictures of the dog's adventures above the text. I wasn't completely satisfied with the actual story's ending; the prince's parents still don't understand, even if they cheerfully look forward to when the prince can explain "bub" to them in big-people talk. Only the cook's daughter makes any real effort to understand the prince! Trying to understand takes both time and effort! Nonetheless, a good read. Understanding others can be RUFF!  

Off to play a bit before sleep-time!

                An Understanding Pup,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment