About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rain or No Rain, A Pup Em-BARKS on Imaginative Adventures

Hi!

     Another day of rain rain rain! It makes me long for a nice, hot day in the backyard with my humans. I know, I know. We had those two marvelous days in the park and then in Wickford. I guess I am a little bit spoiled (but hey, a pup needs outside time in addition to snuggling!).


I've got to stay in good shape to tackle those funny-flying discs my humans throw for me!

     Of course, Allison sees the wet weather as a chance for more reading. So I've been spending a lot of time in her room - either cuddled up on her bed (only bed in the house I'm allowed on!) or sprawled out on her floor near the bookcase. Our most recent venture: a book called Bunnicula by James Howe. It's a longer one so we're only half-way through, but it's pretty fun so far. Narrated by Harold, the family dog, the story follows the Monroes as they deal with a bunny rabbit that may be something called a vampire. A vampire, Allison says, is a kind of monster with pointy teeth that drinks blood - yuck! In this case, the bunny vamp sucks the juice of vegetables instead. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next! Wooof!

     Because I'm still just a pup, I can't pay attention very well sometimes. I need lots of breaks in between the longer book's chapters! So Allison and I read shorter books during our breaks. Today we read two that reminded me how important Imagination is in a dog's life - especially when life (or the silly weather) don't go the way we want or expect! Life gives you kibble, make kibble-cake (lemons and lemonade are gross).

    The first is the tale of a dog named Moe and a terrific idea:

Moe the Dog in Tropical Paradise by Diane Stanley, illustrated by Elise Primavera, will show all human-pups who read it the true power of imagination. Moe and his friend Arlene get a week off for vacation - but the cold, wintry weather seems to be working against them. They have no money to travel to a hot beach, and even the heat in the movie theatre is broken. Moe, however, uses his imagination to turn his house into Tropical Paradise! The vacation saved, the two dogs have a lot of fun without ever leaving the house. Two paws up and two tail-wags for this creative book and what Allison calls "evocative, colorful illustrations." A loveable hero who doesn't give up until he creates his perfect holiday makes this book a bow-wow read! Best for human-pups ages 4-8.



The second book, David Small's Imogene's Antlers, tells the comical story of a human-pup with an equally wonderful imagination. Upon waking up one morning to find she has grown antlers (like some kind of silly deer or moose), Imogene makes up her mind to enjoy every minute of her new gift. From feeding the birds by putting drool-worthy donuts on her horns to hanging up towels to dry, Imogene uses her imagination to make the most of the surprise. Even while her family memebers call in doctors and her mama faints a lot. The surprise ending is also a treat! Arooo! Two paws up and recommended for human-pups 4-8!

    Time for more vampire bunnies and other good stories!

                 Yours in Imaginative Glee,
Sam I Am
   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment