About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sam I Am: A Dog's Dog, or Being True to YOU

Hi!

     Busy couple of days! Rachel, Allison, and Suz planted a vegetable garden today - Allison says it will be my job to chase squirrels away. Arf! I've got a real job now, paid in cookies and belly rubs...can't wait to get started! A lot of times my humans smile and ask, "Why do you do that, Sam?" Whether it's tearing apart a terrific clump of dried grass (Fun!), tunneling under the bed in my crate (Gotta dig!), or barking at a potted plant (I swear it was about to attack!), my humans are always laughing and trying to figure me out. Truth is, I'm a dog -  and I wouldn't want to be anything else. Even for all the Milkbones in the world. 

     I told Allison that sometimes I get nervous when I meet new pups or new humans. Last week I made a friend down the street, a Malkie (Maltese and Yorkie) named Chance. He likes to bounce and dive under bushes, yipping like he's hot on the trail of a chipmunk. Me? I don't like to bark so much. I could've tried to be like Chance and his half-brother Teddy and barked and dived and bounced. Just to impress them, you know? (Allison calls it "fitting in.") But I didn't do that. I showed Chance the way I race around and then flop over in front of the humans for an "awwww" or a belly rub. I was myself! And it felt good! Don't be scared to be true to who you are, human or pup or anything else.



It's good to be me...

      After I thought about this for awhile, Allison found a few books for me to read. So this entry and the next one will be for talking about those. The first is called Edward the Emu by Sheena Knowles, illustrated by Rod Clement:



     That sad-looking chicken on the cover is actually an emu like the ones I met in the park. Only this one has a name: Edward. This silly bird starts out very confused at the beginning of the story; he thinks being an emu is boring and so tries to act like some of the other animals at the zoo. Written in funny rhymes, the book shows what happens when you try to be something other than yourself. Human pups will love the emu's laughable expressions and the ending as well! Edward the Emu gets two paws up from this pup - and for the story of another emu, try Edwina the Emu (the adventure continues!). 


     Now I'm off to bed, to snuggle up with my squeaky duck and rawhide. Two more tales of learning to love being you to come soon! Woof!


                                                       A dog who loves being himself,
                                                                                     Sam I Am 


No comments:

Post a Comment