About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Unpleasant Surprise: Using Friendship to Stop Bullies

Hi!

     After the day I had today, I've been talking to my humans about the Unexpected. You see, I had quite a shock on my morning walk with Allison. Trotting along, I was sniffing a bit of moss on one of our favorite side streets when a strange-looking human with fur on his face and a funny hat came out of a house. With him were two boxer dogs.

     Everybody knows how much I love to stop and say hi to all the people and animals I see, but these dogs seemed kind of ruff and tough. So Allison and I kept walking - until the dogs knocked their human into a flowerbed, pulled their leashes, and charged! Snarling and jumping all over me, those big bullies didn't give me a chance to exchange a sniff. I was so scared I started crying! Allison very bravely picked me up and held me, even as the two meanies leapt at her trying to get at me. When their human finally came and caught them, Allison and I were pretty shaken up. We went right home and took a nap on Allison's bed.

And had a snuggle on the rocking chair as well...snuggle therapy!

     Some surprises, like the one we had, aren't much fun. But I think I learned something from it. Don't panic! If you get called bad names by bullies (ambushed, Allison calls it), be brave. Ignore them because you know they are very wrong about you! You don't need to panic and run away; just calmly walk away. And friends help too! I'm so glad Allison was there to help me when those mean dogs surprised me. Talk to your family and friends about your own bullies, and remember that even if you can't be friends with everyone (though I try, woof!), you will eventually find others who will love you!

     This book below, Bill Peet's Huge Harold, tells the story of a very special rabbit. A rabbit who feels like he doesn't belong, who encounters bullies, and who finally finds a true friend:

Now I have seen some really big bunnies. They hop around the yard and leave their scent all over the place. It drives my little sniffing nose crazy! But no bunnies I've seen are as big as Harold. He's as big as a horse!!! When his own mom and dad tell him that he is too big to hide in the meadows, Harold hops off to find a new place to live. Unfortunately, poor Harold meets bully after bully (from rude cows to hungry foxes to angry hunters) who don't understand that he just wants to belong.  

Finally Harold decides that he's "through running away," and finds a friend in a human named Orville. Thanks to the friendship of Orville, the bullies are "foiled" (Allison's words), and Harold finds a new home where he is accepted for being himself. No more running around being scared! Yay Harold!

I liked this book. Told in rhyme and accompanied by Bill Peet's wonderful pencil drawings, I felt myself rooting for Harold the gigantic rabbit. Silly bullies are no match for friendship! Two paws up. Human-pups ages 4-8 will love Huge Harold.

Off to give my human friends extra snuggles; bullies beware!

                             Surprisingly yours,
                  Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment