About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Camera-raderie and Grimm Tales: Detectives are Special and You are Too!

Hi!

     We haven't blogged for a few days because Allison did a very silly thing and stepped on a bumblebee. I hadn't known that those cheeky, buzzing things were called bumblebees; I only knew that every time I got close to snapping one up, my humans would start howling, "NO SAM! NO NO NO! DON'T EAT IT OR IT WILL STING YOUR MOUTH!" Sting? How was I to know what a sting is? Mostly I kept growling and pouncing at the buzzing things anyway, and Allison kept scolding me in that panicky voice. Until two days ago, when my beloved human forgot to hop over a bee herself while watching me. I guess these bee-things have pointy spikes on their bums...and they really hurt if you step on one.

     I don't think I've ever heard Allison make such a strange noise. Yowling in pain, she limped - with me in tow - back into the yard to find Rachel. My poor Allison has been hopping around with an expression of OUCH ever since. She even took a kind of medicine called Benadryl to help her stop scratching. But all it did was make her verrrry sleeeepy. 

    Of course, in between naps Allison has made sure that we keep reading! The following two mystery stories (which are both part of their own series) kept us busy while Allison's foot got less itchy-scratchy-ouchy. The first features a little human girl-pup who finds a lost puppy, and in the second a pair of scrappy sisters solve a fairy tale mystery: 


       In Cam Jansen and the Barking Treasure Mystery by David Adler, illustrated by Susanna Natti, human-pup Cam, her mama, and some friends take a boat tour and end up in the middle of a mystery! A woman sneaks her puppy onboard in her purse even though dogs aren't allowed on the boat - and soon Little Treasure (the pup's name, which I think is SO silly!) is GONE. Aroooooooooo! Dognapped! 

The minute Allison read the part about Little Treasure being dognapped, I started to get nervous. Where did Little Treasure go? Who would take a pup? What if I ever get dognapped?! 

Calmly, Allison rubbed my tummy and reassured me that even if I were ever dognapped, my humans would find a way to get me back. 

"Besides," she said, "That woman brought her dog where she wasn't supposed to, and then she didn't pay attention - or put her pup on a leash! We wouldn't do that!" She smiled. "And you just watch. Cam Jansen is very special; she'll find the pup, don't worry." 

I settled down, comforted. Panting a little, I sat back on my haunches to listen to the rest of the story.  

Once Little Treasure vanishes, Cam leaps into action as fast as a bloodhound. This human-pup has a very special talent: she has a photographic memory. Allison says this means she can remember things in pictures - just like a camera! So Cam and her friend use what Cam remembers to find Little Treasure (and a certain shiny diamond collar). 


The dog's out of the bag then...   

     I liked this story, mostly. Cam's mom's friend is very funny (comic relief), and Cam Jansen herself is a loveable, smart character who truly enjoys helping people. The black-and-white line illustrations in the book add to a suspense-filled story. The ending (during which the mystery is solved partly through the thief's own slip-ups) proves satisfying if a bit predictable. The good guys win and get treats. The bad guy gets scolded and punished. But even better, the heroine solves the mystery by being herself and using her special talent. Everyone has a special gift or talent! It's a good idea to use your special talent to help someone else - by solving a mystery or otherwise!

I give this book two paws up. Especially the part at the end that asks human-pups to test their own memory/detective skills! Allison also highly recommends the Cam Jansen series; it was one of her favorite series when she was a young human-pup.
Best for human-pups grades 2-4.   



The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley is the first book in a series about two sisters. When Sabrina and Daphne's parents disappear, they find themselves adopted by a strange human grown-up who calls herself their "Grandma Relda." Only, their parents never mentioned they had a living grandmama! Suspicious but desperately wanting to have a family again, the girls have trouble getting used to living in Ferryport. It seems that the Grimm family have a tradition: all members becomes fairy tale detectives. This means they make sure fairy tale characters and humans get along. In this story, fairy tale characters are real - and all living in Sabrina and Daphne's new hometown!

In a ruff whirl of kidnapped grandmas, mean giants, and fantastic magic, the girls must depend on each other as well as new friends like Puck the pixie prince, the Big Bad Wolf, and a sassy Magic Mirror. Only the sisters Grimm can solve the mystery and save their grandma! Lots of laughs in this one. Even grown-up humans will appreciate the fairy tale character references transferred to real life, Allison says. Also a lot of real feelings from little human-pups; family means a lot to all creatures! The illustrations are a bit strange, but fun just the same. I give this first in the series two paws up and a tail wag, and I've been told by Mama Suz that the next few books in the series are pretty good as well (the rest, she claims, get TOO weird). This one is for human-pups grades 4-6. And any grown-ups who love a good fairy tale of course! Woooof! 
*Note from my human Allison: The edition we read had comprehension and critical thinking questions at the back - great for family discussions or teachers' lesson plans.

And now? Now I'm off to finish watching a movie called Clue with my humans. Lots of shrieking and talk of "murder." Mysteries all around! But at least the movie's yells will help me ignore the silly BOOMS outside. Allison says people are setting off something called "fireworks." I say my poor little pup ears are near to busting with all the horrible noise! Awoooooo! Going to sleep in Allison's room tonight, I think. Even detectives get scared sometimes...

We'll be reading more mysteries at some point, but I think I need a break from hunting down the bad guys. I've still got a lot to learn! Woof!

Once again mysteriously yours (but with my human safe by my side),
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment