About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Of Couches and Magical Thumps that Make Things GO

Hi!

     After a very pleasant day of bone-chewing, napping, and playing chase, I was happy to snuggle up with Allison for a good book. I gnawed gently on Allison's toes while she picked one out. What book next? What new reading adventures for me and my human? As it turns out, she had adventure, exploring, and travel on her mind. (Allison's been thinking a lot lately about her adventure of Library School starting in the fall - so we're going to read more books about new places and new experiences.) Frowning a little, Allison looked down at the stack in her paws. So many to pick from! Then she spoke:

     "Where's the best place to start an adventure, Sam?"

      Ruff? I stopped trying to wiggle under a kitchen chair and thought. Then I got distracted by a piece of my bone hiding beneath the table. What can I say? I try to help, but I'm just a pup. It didn't matter though, because Allison answered her own question:

      "At home, silly! We can start with one of my favorites..."

     With that, my human pulled a worn paperback book from the shelves:

Amos: The Story of an Old Dog and His Couch by Susan Seligson and Howie Schneider tells the tale of a dog's adventures on a magic couch. His silly humans no longer take him anywhere (I trotted out of the room, quite upset, when Allison read that part - how sad for Amos to always be left all alone!), so he spends a lot of time on his couch. One day he discovers that a well-aimed thump makes the couch go VAROOM and zoom off like a car. So start his adventures as he and his couch-mobile follow his family out of the house! Finally his humans discover his secret hobby, and human-pups will smile at the book's ending.

I give this book a definite two paws up and a tail wag for its plucky red-furred hero, its imaginative plot, and its comical illustrations. Tail-wagging and heart-warming, this book shows that whether you are young, old, human, pup, etc., YOU can have adventures and happily "embrace the unexpected" as Allison says! Woof!! With a little imagination, you can have adventures anywhere - even on your own couch. This story is best for human-pups grades PreK-2. (Or anyone with a passion for couches, transportation, creative exploration, or all of the above.)

*There are also other Amos books by this author, including Amos Camps Out for fans of the outdoors.



Usually I prefer underneath my couch, but I decided to try to make it go VAROOM...


Sigh. No luck getting this couch to move.
Still a great place for pre-adventure snuggles though!

Now I'm off to bed; my dreams are adventures themselves! Ruff! Besides, a pup needs to rest up before seeing more of the world...

Yours in comfy furniture and exploring,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment