About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dog Houses and Magnetic Mayhem

Hi!

     Do you know that when a human says someone is "in the doghouse," it means the person is in trouble? Imagine that! Allison says it comes from when humans made their dogs sleep alone (outside in a little house) whenever the pups did something wrong. Some families still have their dogs sleep outside like that - though not always because they were bad.

Well, yesterday I was "in the doghouse."

     You see, I did a silly thing and started to eat the couch in the family room. I didn't really mean to; it's just that when I was curled up under there, I got the urge to CHEW. A littttle bit of cloth was hanging down, so I gave it a chomp. Then a tug. And then another tug and another and another. Aroooo! Before long the underside of the couch was kind of...um...shredded. Oops. I guess you could say Suz and Daddy (and even Rachel and Allison) weren't too happy about this. I was in trouble alright. Later my humans reminded me that everyone makes mistakes and that they love me no matter what. 

      "Just no more munching on the couch, mister!" Allison added. Then we set to work reading some of our finds from the Book Barn. Here's one of my favorites:

    Australian author Bruce Whatley's Magnetic Dog is a funny picture book about a pup named Skitty. Narrated by Skitty's little girl, the book tells all about the dog's special talent: she's magnetic when it comes to food!

I twitched my ears at Allison and voiced my question with a whine.

Arruu? What is "magnetic"?

"When something is magnetic, it attracts something else. Mostly it has to do with different metals," Allison answered.

She led me into the kitchen and over to the fridge - that big cold box where my humans keep food - and pointed to the little toys stuck to it.

"See? These things are "magnets"; they stick to the metal-stuff in the fridge because they're magnetic."

I pawed at one of the small magnets toward the bottom. It moved, but stayed stuck to the fridge. Wow. Okayyy. So Skitty attracts food. Sounds like a good deal, right? 

So all Skitty has to do to get food to come to her is give her humans that special magnetic look. And happy chaos results! This overall silly story, with its pictures of flying food and wonderfully expressive faces (the illustrations showing Skitty's eyes and those of unsuspecting humans made Allison and me laugh), gets one furry paw up. Great for a quick, giggly family read, and best for babies-prek.      

Me? I want to learn Skitty's trick. Maybe if I squint my eyes and bite my tongue a bit to concentrate...

But no. I bet Skitty's trick would land me "in the doghouse" again. My humans get upset when I try to nab food. Like that time I nipped up a piece of Suz's bread one lunchtime. What can I say? Sometimes a pup's got mischief on his mind.

Yours in magnetic tricks and trouble,
Sam I Am  

No comments:

Post a Comment