About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Last Sam-I-Amurai: A Tale of New Friends

Hi!

     Allison and I haven't written in awhile because we were having adventures. Allison's friend from her old school came to visit; her name is Allyson, which sounds like my human's name but is spelled different, and she's terrific! She sure knows how to give a good belly rub. At her house in a far-away place called "New Jersey," her family includes an Old English Sheepdog named Doug - and Doug did a great job training his human! I have to say that I enjoyed the extra attention from my new friend.

     Allyson had to go home today, which made me a little sad. My family keeps telling me that she'll come back to visit again sometime though! Then we can have more adventures. Allison and I showed her the emus, took her on a picnic, and even went to a special outdoor movie in Providence with her. The movie (it was called "The Last Samurai," which made me happy because part of it was like my name) was very loud and there were lots of humans fighting in it. Too scary for human-pups. Why can't everyone just be friends, I wondered. I had no problem making new friends all around us, from this big tattooed guy with a funny mustache to a group of girls and a little grumpy dog named Butch. I had a lot of fun with Allyson and my Allison, which just goes to show that making a new friend always means a new adventure!

Snuggling with my new friend Allyson! 

     To cheer ourselves up after Allyson left to go back home, Allison and I pulled out another book we found at the Book Barn. This one is about a little polar bear who desperately wants a friend - and makes a new friend through a courageous adventure:

In Hans de Beer's Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend, Lars the polar bear starts out very sad. There's no one around for him to play with! One day, however, he goes for a walk and ends up getting trapped by humans hunting animals for a zoo. When Lars finds himself on a big boat with other caged animals, he sets them free - including a brown bear named Bea. Then begins a journey past cities, through forests, and over rough oceans to get home! Lars and Bea become fast friends, and this story's wonderful ending shows that no matter how different the two bears are, a strong friendship holds them together! Arooooo! Two paws up and a tail wag for this book! Beautiful illustrations and a heart-warming story make for a book human-pups will love! Best for human-pups K-3.  

Also recommended by this author: The Little Polar Bear, Little Polar Bear and the Husky Pup, Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare, and Little Polar Bear, Take Me Home! (and more, including variations - like board books - for littler readers!)

Off to cuddle my giraffe now! And then I will happily dream about meeting even more new friends soon! Rufff!

Yours in Friendship and Other Wonderful Things,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment