About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Smarty Pups and True Friends

Hi!

     As today was another hot day, my humans and I were stuck inside again. But this time Jacob was here, just like every Friday! I had some fun giving kisses and romping around Jacob's trucks and other toys. Later I curled up under the table to listen and watch as Allison and Rachel helped Jacob make pictures with a funny bunch of soft, colored sticks. I tried to eat one once; Allison took it away from me right away.

     "That's a crayon," she scolded. "Not for puppies to eat, silly!"
     
      Wuh-oof? A crayon? It smelled kind of strange, but I saw no reason I shouldn't have a small chomp. I ran my tongue over my front teeth - a bit of crayon flakes was stuck there - and suddenly sneezed.

     Allison tried hard not to smile as she looked up from the crayon. She touched her earring in that worried way she has whenever I've eaten something I'm not supposed to. Then she sighed, let a little laugh out, and explained:

     "Crayons are colored wax sticks not eat-able - that humans use to draw pictures. So don't eat them! Okay?"

     I woofed my agreement.
     
     Allison smiled, a real smile this time. "You've got a lot to learn puppy, a lot to learn to grow up to be a big smart dog."

I guess I'd better keep reading and learning and adventuring then!

      In hopes that I will learn not to do silly things like eat art supplies and try to destroy the underside of the couch (There was a loose bit of cloth - I couldn't help but tug at it! Ruff!), Allison read me a couple of longer books about a two dogs. Each dog is smart in a special way, although both know the power of friendship and love.

       Cynthia Rylant's Gooseberry Park tells the story of a group of unlikely friends - and the lengths one pup will go to make sure his friends are safe. Life with his human (a kind, mild-mannered professor) is wonderful for Kona the chocolate lab. He has his friend Gwendolyn the hermit crab at home and gets to see his friend Stumpy the squirrel during frequent trips to the park. What a life! Aroo! 

However, Kona is faced with a giant problem when an ice storm puts Stumpy and her squirrel-pups in danger! With the help of Gwendolyn, a comical bat Murray, and his own smarts and bravery, Kona must find a way out of the house and over the ice to save his friends without the professor finding out. This story of stubborn friendship gets two paws up and a tail wag from this pup! Clever, caring Kona and the goofy Murray steal the show and will make human-pups cheer. The group of friends must use all their talents and love to make sure a mama and her pups are safe and together! Recommended for human-pups grades 3-5 - or anyone who loves a good tale of friends. 


In Vivian Vande Velde's Smart Dog, a dog with human-smarts (he can speak human and work a computer!) and a good heart escapes from a science laboratory to avoid having his brain "dissected." I howled in a kind of sympathy for Sherlock when Allison read this part. Why would anyone want to take apart a pup's head?! *Shudder* It's a good thing Sherlock finds a loyal, clever friend in a girl named Amy. What follows is a comical, claw-biting story of mix-ups and plots - which ends happily for both smarty Sherlock (who still has a lot to learn) and Amy (who finally realizes that true friendship is much better than being "popular"). Best for grades 3-6, I give this book two paws up. 

I'm off. I hope Suz and Daddy will forgive me for the couch. Allison is right; I still have a lot to learn! This pup will keep reading...

Your working-on-his-smarts friend,
Sam I Am   

No comments:

Post a Comment