About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Oh To Be a Salty Dog: Damp Fears and Brave Leaps

Hi!

     I fell into a tide pool today. I guess I should've seen it coming; those silly rocks were slippery with this gooey green stuff. Ruff! I was just so excited to see what Rachel was looking at down among the rocks of Beavertail (in Jamestown, RI) that *sliip-plunk*! My paws slid right into a slimy rock puddle, and I yelped in fear.

  I was scared of getting swept away by the big fierce Ocean. Had to get outtt!

      When I clawed and pawed myself out of the pool, I smelled like seaweed. Nudging Allison with a salty nose, I tried to shake dry. Dratted rocks. Grrruff! At first I didn't want to take any more chances near the tide pools, but my humans promised that they wouldn't let me drown - there was nothing to be scared about. So I spent the rest of the afternoon happily bouncing over and around the rocks (and even making friends with a funny animal called a tortoise). You can't let your fears stop you from doing fun things - be brave!


 Try not to let fear hold you back! There's lots to see and smell and taste and experience in this interesting world! Awoooooo!

     Anyway, I dedicate this post to a nice girl I met before we went to Jamestown. Allison and Rachel took me to this restaurant in Providence that let pups sit with their humans in the sidewalk cafe part - India it's called. The human lady who brought us our food (juicy hamburger and yummy rice for me and spicy-smelling plates of food for Allison and Rachel) was acting a little strange. She kept smiling nervously and making small shaky steps to stay away from my wagging tail. Then she told us...

     "I'm sorry, but I'm a-a-afraid of dogs. I have a-a phobia."

     Afraid of dogs? I panted, kind of surprised. Then I remembered how afraid I am of vacuums. No matter how silly it seems and no matter how many times my humans tell me that the vacuum won't hurt me, the dust-eating roar makes my legs run away on their own! This human girl can't control what she's afraid of anymore than I can control it. Even so, this nice human faced her fear and managed to smile at me. Very brave! You could say that she's one of the reasons I didn't run away from the dark, scary sea. I faced my fear - and had a great day!

     And here's a good bedtime story for any pup or human-pup with a fear:

   
Martin Waddell's Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?, with pictures by Barbara Firth, is a sweet, simple bedtime story that will comfort the littlest human-pups with its repetition and lovable bear characters. In this Pre-K level book, Little Bear tells Big Bear that he can't sleep. Why? He's afraid of the dark!

(I know how scary the dark can be. On some of my first nights with my humans, I was afraid and cried a bit when I had to go to bed. But now that I sleep in Allison's room, she's sure to put a small nightlight on - that way neither of us are scared! Woof!)


Everyone - even grown-ups - get afraid. 

Big Bear, who understands that everyone has fears, gives Little Bear a present to help: a tiny light! Guess what though? Little Bear still can't sleep. Big Bear continues to give Little Bear bigger and bigger lights - until he decides that Little Bear needs to see something outside...

With an ending that will encourage all little ones to face their fears and find bravery next to a friend, this book earns two paws up. The warm, fire-lit illustrations and obvious love between the big and little bears make this one of my favorites. Read it and remember that a bright friend (or mama or daddy or grandparent or sibling) can cheer up the darkest night and banish the worst fears.

Off to Allison's dark (but with a nightlight) room! Aroo!

Yours in Salty-Sea Bravery and Bedtime Stories,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment