About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Surprise Doctor's Visits and Elizabethan Collars

Hi!

     You know, when Allison and Rachel took me to the doctor's on Tuesday, I wasn't expecting what happened next. In the car on the way, Allison told me that I was going to have an operation, but not to worry. She said that I would play with the pretty vet techs, fall asleep for awhile, and then wake up when it was time to go home.

     "This is part of growing up, Sam," Allison whispered into my ear, "Just like when I had to have my four wisdom teeth pulled out. You be a brave boy, okay?"

      Teeth pulled out? Ouch! I put my ears back at this, but quickly forgot to be afraid once I padded into the doctor's office. So many other dogs and people to say hi to!

      Next thing I know, I'm waking up still at the doctor's the next morning, and my bum feels a little ouchy. What was that? Strangest of all, when my humans came to take me home they put this stupid cone-shaped collar around my neck! I didn't like that one bit, and I still felt a little woozy, so I lay down the best I could and pouted.

Well how would you feel?

     I made sourpuss faces at Allison - and acted hangdog - until she curled up beside me with a new book. Pawing at my foolish collar, I looked up at her with my saddest eyes. 

     "Okay, my brave boy," Allison said. "I know you don't like it, but that collar you're wearing is called an 'Elizabethan collar.' It's named after a human queen from a long time ago who liked to wear collars like that."

     Arooo? I cocked my head, collar and all. A queen who likes weird cone collars? Humans don't usually wear collars, do they? 

     "Most humans don't wear them anymore," she continued, "but Elizabeth I was an interesting person."

     "Anyway, here's a book that will cheer you up! It's about a puppy who lives with another Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth II. She's queen in England now, and she's related to the first Elizabeth. Come on! Listen!"

     Even though the book was over a hundred pages long, Allison read it aloud to me and Lizzie right then and there. It's called Titus Rules by Dick King-Smith:


Written by the author of Babe (which Allison and I have just started reading) and illustrated by John Eastwood, Titus Rules is a wonderful book for lovers of dogs, of British things, and of great stories of friendship and courage. Titus is the last pup of Queen Elizabeth II's corgi Prissy, and this tale tells all about Titus' adventures and how he becomes the queen's favorite pooch. This royal pup grows up to be a hero! By being brave and listening to both his mama and his own smarts, Titus saves the castle from a fire, averts a flood, and even stops a silly human from stealing the queen's sparkly jewelery! John Eastwood's simple pen and ink drawings throughout the book will give human-pups a better idea of the personalities of Titus and other members of the royal family. Also, grown-up humans will laugh at what Allison calls the "gentle satire" on the British royals. Best for human-pups ages 7-11, I give this book two paws up and a tail wag (all the more impressive when I'm doing so while wearing this heavy royal Elizabethan collar).

* A note from Allison: Although Sam and I adore this book (I spent 5 months in England myself and so love the Britishness of it!), some children may not care for or understand the British references and context. Stay tuned for a review of Babe, which American children may appreicate a degree more (especially since it has been made into a popular film).

And now? I'm off for a snooze. Growing up and acting royal take a lot out of a puppy! Ruff!

Yours in Silly Collars and Brave Deeds,
Sam I Am


 

No comments:

Post a Comment