About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Sick Day for Sadie, Or Friends are the Best Medicine

Hi!

     You know what? My friend Sadie has to wear one of these silly cone Elizabethan collar things for awhile too. Allison and I were having our usual after-kibble walk when we stopped by Sadie's yard to say hi - and there she was, looking sad and sick! I whimpered softly until she got up and padded over. I guess she had to have an operation on her left hind leg because she had a big long line of stitches. Pawing at the fence, I woofed a question about how she was feeling; instead of jumping around like she usually does, Sadie hung her head so low it touched her paws. My poor friend! Awoooooo!

     Allison crouched down and rubbed my back, murmuring get-well wishes to Sadie. Then she reminded me of a book we had read one rainy afternoon when I was still feeling yucky. Maybe I could tell Sadie about it and that would cheer her up? I twitched my ears in thought, and then decided Allison had a good idea. This book in particular shows how much friends can help when you don't feel well. I shared this story with Sadie, so maybe you'd like to share it with your friends (especially next time they get "sick as a dog"...what a silly phrase, ruff!).


Written by Philip Stead and illustrated by his wife Erin, A Sick Day for Amos McGee is a very special picture book - for a number of reasons. This story, with its Caldecott-winning pictures and loveable main character, is wonderful! A very nice human by the name of Amos McGee works hard at the zoo doing his job - and works even harder making sure he is there for all his animal friends. Whether the tortoise needs a playmate to race with (and let him win) or the rhino needs a handkerchief (he "always had a runny nose"), Amos is there to help. So when this terrific human gets sick, his animal friends hop a bus to be there for Amos! 


A simple story of understanding and friendship becomes unforgettable for human-pups who will love the pictures as much as Amos! My favorite part of the pictures' details is the penguin's funny web-foot-shaped socks! Allison loves that the rhino wears a red scarf - and also that a tiny mouse and bird appear in many of the pictures! I give this book two paws up and a tail wag! Great for human-pups K-2 or any pup who needs cheering up during a sick day (especially if there is a silly cone involved!). Remember: it's always nice to cheer someone up! Wooof!

     Of course, I also told Sadie that she should try to stay positive. After all, I've been walking around with this foolish collar for over a week, but I'm still having adventures! Like yesterday...Allison took me for my first walk in the woods behind the library. Oh the SMELLS! The bushes and the mud and the chipmunk tracks to sniff! It was on that shady walk that I saw my first FROG ever! I saw what looked like a bump on a rock in the middle of a gucky pond, and all of a sudden it jumped and went *plonk* *plonk* *plonk* in and out of the water. Well, arooooooo! I must have jumped a little myself.


See? Even cone-collared pups can sniff out swamp-creatures! Rrrrruff!

     I'm going to go see Sadie again tomorrow. Then I can tell her about my lazy day in Colt State Park today with my family. I want to ask her if she likes getting wet in the salty water - I don't like it much but I've seen some dogs dive right in. Also if she's sniffed out that white cat that's been prancing around the neighborhood. Maybe I could bring her a handkerchief too...I just need to borrow one from Mama Suz's laundry basket when my humans aren't looking. Aroooo!

                                                                        Yours in Sniffs and Silliness on Sick Days,
                                                                                         Sam I Am  

No comments:

Post a Comment