About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lights Out? Don't Pout!: Of Power Outages and Poetry

Hi!

     If you were wondering why Allison and I didn't write for a long time, it's because of the silly storm. That troublemaker Hurricane Irene! Arooo! Something happened on Sunday night that made the electricity go *BOOM-click* and switch off. This meant no way for Allison to use her computer, so no blogging! And boy, what adventures have I had lately!

     Here's a little paragraph Allison wrote for me on an index card during our power "outage" (because a pup like me wants to remember things):

     "We haven't had this thing called electricity for a whole day. Allison has been reading by the light of little fires on top sticks called 'candles.' They smell sweet and smoky, but hurt my eyes if I stare at them too long. Suz just took me out for the last time - and we saw lots of bright stars. There are no lights on our street, so only the sky gets to twinkle hello to any pups and humans curious enough to be outside. It's been quite a day: bringing boxes of food to Lizzie's and cooking at Lizzie's house - and eating steak (my humans had to cook all the meat before the fridge went to sleep). I played with Lizzie, telling her about the wind-ripped leaves turning all the puddles on my street dark and patchy. Got to go now. Allison says we're going to try making up some poetry by candlelight! Hope I get to blog soon! Ruff!"

---Dictated to and written by Allison by candlelight, 10 pm on August 29, 2011  

     Anyway, because there wasn't any power in our house, my family spent a lot of time outside. In between naps in the grass, I'd watch Allison read some of her longer books, or listen while she read aloud to me. That was during the day. At night, Allison would run around lighting candles; the whole house glowed, making it the perfect time to try more poetry. My humans made the best of a silly situation. And of course, books and imagination always help! Woof! 

A picture of me after coming in from Irene's yucky wind and rain! Snuggles and books helped my family and me stay cheerful during the storm and our time without power! What did you do during Irene? 

     To start our poetry off, we read a book by a human named Jack Prelutsky (Allison said I would get "inspired," whatever that means):

  Dog Days: Rhymes Around the Year by Jack Prelutsky, illustrated by Dyanna Wolcott, is a short, simple poetry book for human-pups starting to read. The author and illustrator provide a poem and picture for each month of the year, cheerfully and comically showing life from a dog's point of view. My favorite poem was the one for July. It goes: "It's very noisy in July,/ When fireworks light the evening sky./ Though I'm a patriot and proud,/ For ears like mine, it's much too loud." With pictures drawn in what Allison calls "a childlike style" that kids will relate to (with little details here and there like hidden witch hats), this book is a great read for very small human-pups, grades PreK-2. Two paws up!   

Just for fun, Allison and I will be putting some of our hurricane poems up soon. Here's one of my favorites:

When that silly Irene put the lights out,
That good puppy Sam did not pout.
His humans made steak,
And a piece he did take,
In the happiest of moods, I don't doubt!
---Sam I Am & Allison 8/29/11

     Awooooo! I'm very sleepy now, so I think I'll leave writing about the rest of my storm adventures for tomorrow. Did I mention I got to go to the dog park finally? And that I played with Jesse today? It's been so exciting that I'm all tuckered out. Until tomorrow then, friends.

Yours in Hurricanes and Silly Poetry,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment