About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Little Night Music: In Praise of Chester Cricket

Hi!

     Allison and I couldn't write yesterday - we were too busy feeling wet. All because of some very silly weather! Out we went for our nightly walk, and when we were just past Peanut and Daisy's house, the raindrops started. And the drops kept going. And got bigger. And wetter. Until finally I found myself trotting beside Allison (my poor paws soaked by unavoidable puddles) as she guided us toward home through the pouring rain.

     Now, I didn't mind the thunder booms or the lightning flashes, but I definitely didn't like getting so wet! When I tried (several times) to dive into bushes to dry off (Home seemed so far for a little damp puppy like me!), Allison grinned and reminded me that we were in this adventure together. She was having fun, laughing as raindrops dripped from her hair and hopping through puddles like a gleeful duck. I got into the spirit and galloped faster - toward the warm towels and snuggles that waited for us at home. By the time we reached the porch, both me and my beloved human were dripping and trailing muddy pawprints.

     Home at last, I decided cuddling, doing my shake-the-water-off dance, and rubbing my wet snout on the carpet was more important than blogging. Hey, even a reading-eager pup like me needs a break!

    Today was better, thank dogness. Sure my humans and I got locked out of the house. But that meant we got to go see Suz at work. Also, in honor of my upcoming six month birthday, Allison and Rachel bought me a big brother for my squeaky Clifford doggy. 

See? Big Clifford and I get to know each other. He makes a funny urnk-urnk noise sometimes. Fun!!

     Except for scary vacuum roars, I like listening to different sounds. Thunder. Other pups barking. The fridge opening. The sweet sound of a Milkbone as it hits the kitchen floor. I especially like listening to my humans' voices - even when they sing along to the songs in the car! When I first came to live with Allison and her family, music was one of the only things that would make me feel better when I got too excited or upset. So this next book I'm recommending means a lot to me. 


 The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden, illustrated by Garth Williams, is a suspenseful yet hopeful tale of a cricket's adventures in the big city of New York. After accidentally stowing away in a picnic basket, Chester the cricket gets stranded in a subway station beneath Times Square. Quickly befriended by a mouse, a cat, and a boy named Mario Bellini, Chester soon realizes that his chirping is music to others' ears. When Chester decides he wants to help Mario's family save their newsstand, it is the cricket's music that draws lots of humans to the Bellinis' storefront. Chester becomes a famous musical performer! Woof!


With dark, detailed line illustrations that bring life to already loveable characters, this book is a wonderful read! At times funny and other times sad, human-pups will not want to stop reading. What will happen to Chester and the Bellinis? they'll wonder. This story also shows the power of friendship and the importance of using your talents to help others. (After all, I use my top-notch chasing talents to keep the pests away from my humans' garden - everyone can help each other out!) Two paws and a happy tail wag for this one, best for human-pups ages 9-12.   

Maybe someday I'll get to go to Times Square in New York. I bet they have lots of terrific sounds - not to mention smells and sights and people to lick! Anyway, now I'm off to snuggle Big Clifford some more and listen to the night sounds coming from outside. A special good-night to all the crickets out there!

Yours in music and dreams,
Sam I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment