About Me

My photo
Ruff! My name is Sam I Am Irving Theophilus. I'm a Wauzer (my daddy was a Westie and my mama was a Schnauzer), and I'm happy to meet you! I love people, especially my human Allison. She and her sister adopted me from Little Rhody Rescue, so now I've found my forever home! Allison helped me make this blog so I could talk about all the exciting books I get to read in my new home. I just have to remember: books are friends, NOT food! Woof.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yearning for Learning: A Pup Thinks About School

Hi!

     All the humans around me keep going on and on about this thing called school. Allison is worried about starting library school, Rachel has been busy trying to figure out her "classes," and Suz is already planning to teach her students about inventions (like the inventions in Andrew Henry's Meadow, but less fancy...things like cars). What's the big deal about school?

     When Allison took me to Slater Park (my first time there!), I stopped her in a bit of shade. Pawing at her jeans, I whimpered my question. What is school exactly?

     "It's okay, little one. We're all kind of nervous about doing something new. But school is a what humans call a place where we go to learn things," Allison murmured. She rubbed a itchy spot behind my left ear, and I sighed. "Of course, everyone learns by having adventures and paying attention to the world around them. School is just a special way to learn about the specifics, the details!"

     I shook myself. Then I sniffed a clump of grass while I thought about this. Then I remembered that Allison and Rachel had mentioned that I'm going to start school as soon as the silly cone is off. As soon as my humans can sign me up, they said. Okay. So I won't be left out after all...but...but...

    I whined. Now I was starting to feel nervous.

    Allison smiled and gently led me over to a big green wooden stage. We sat there licking up a kind of ice she called "watermelon slush." Then she told me that learning is an important part of life for both pups and human-pups. Later, we read a book about a very smart dog and how he puts his smarts to use in making friends and stirring up happy trouble. Ruff!



Anne H. White's A Dog Called Scholar, with pictures by Lilian Obligado, is a comical chapter book about a golden retriever and those whose lives he changes. First named "Little Moo" and then "Cubby," this feisty pup is finally given the name "Scholar" by his family - all because he must have a private tutor to learn to behave! Soon, the already-smarty-pants Scholar is putting his good manners and ideas to use around town. Whether scheming after chocolate cake (I guess this was written before humans decided chocolate was bad for dogs.), causing chaos during a school play, or making friends with the "King Dog," Scholar is a memorable, lovable character. Most of all, human-pups will like Scholar for his generosity. He is always giving someone a present; my favorite part is when Scholar interrupts the end of the school play by throwing props as gifts to the audience! It's great to learn and to share! A little outdated, this book still earns a paw up from me. Awooooo! Best for human-pups grades 3-5. 

Whew. Even just talking about school and all that learning is making me sleepy! Break time! Woof!   

Off to beg Allison for a bedtime story (maybe another about a smart dog...I need to know more to grow up smart and strong),
Sam I Am 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment